Friday, September 28, 2012

Dying in the desert

Last week I drove over to St.George for 2 reasons.  First, my friend, Sandra Maycock moved there from here about a year ago.  I got there about 8:30 because I drove over after my work in the Monticello Temple and I spent three days with her.  We had such a good visit.  Second, on Friday I took a class at the Quilt Show in town.  It was a class on dying fabric, which I've always been interested in.  Don't know why I would want to dye my own fabric, there is soooo much out there to buy. 


We started out with white, prepared for dye fabric.  This first picture I dyed by putting a piece of fabric in a plastic bag and pouring yellow dye in.  It set for an hour or so, then I rinsed it and then using thickener in some peach colored dye, I stamped it.

 This second piece is made by watering down shaving cream and spreading it in a large pan, then dropping dye in blobs onto the cream, then swirling the dye around, then laying the fabric over it.  After an hour or two, you lift the fabric off, and rinse it.

This piece was just fabric crumpled in a plastic container, then handfuls of crushed ice was put on top of it, then powdered dye was carefully spooned over the ice.  The container was left sitting till the ice melted away.  Then I lifted the fabric out, rinsed it, and hung it to dry.  Amazing.


This last one was also dyed in a plastic bag, but after I had stamped it with thickened dye.  The stamps didn't stay in very well but you can kind of see the leaves I stamped in the lower/middle on the left.