
This is the crazy quilt I've worked on for years. It's called "I Spy a Clamshell". It has all these small pieces in the shape of clamshells that started out as 3" by 3 1/2" rectangles. These were rounded off, gathered slightly and pressed flat, then I appliqued them onto each other, row by row. There are duplicates of the fabrics, some of them picture little funny things, like flowers, suns, butterflies, cars, lighthouses, smiley face, bugs, snowmen, dinosaurs, etc. so it was a natural "I Spy" quilt. 
This is kind of a closeup of my clam shell quilt.
There were three women in the guild that made this quilt. It's called "O'm'Gosh". Two of them were in the show and the other is still being worked on. You can imagine why it's called "O'm'Gosh". People come up to it and say "Oh, My Gosh!!" So many little pieces. I think the small squares are actually cut 1 1/2 inches and sewn together become one inch square. It's a once in a lifetime achievement.
This quilt is hard to describe. The quilter brought in some pieces to guild one night and asked for help on how to finish it. She just laid pieces of the checkered parts on the floor and I thought, there's no way to make this into a beautiful quilt. Then she brought this into the show and it's stunning.
Isn't this quilt cute? I love all the color play in it. I don't know if the girl who made it had a pattern or just made it up. She was in my Beehive's class when we first moved here, so she's very young but the quilt tradition is in her family.

I wish you could see the fabric in this better. The quilt was made to show the fabric off. It is all really Beautiful Asian prints and the quilter is our guild who does long arm quilting and wonderful detailed quilts.
This quilt was made by my friend Cindy, a quilter in our church quilt group. Her quilts are beautiful and the points precise. The flowers in the center were appliqued on and then covered with a blanket stitch.

This quilt was made by Cindy, my quilting friend from church. The color doesn't show up as well as I wish it did as the background is a rich gold, and the blue is actually more purplish. The pattern is called Dresden Plate. The blue/purple is fabric taken from bags that hold Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey. Cindy thot maybe we'd think she had finished off all the whiskey that was inside these bags, but we know better. She got them from a man here in town who spent a good part of his life collecting the bottles and bags. He wanted them made into a quilt and it turned out very well.


1 comment:
Looks fun, good work, Mom!
Post a Comment