Sunday, December 22, 2013

Using up the scraps...

 This is a block I found in a magazine, just before I was inundated with all that fabric a few weeks back.  This is one of the patterns I've been cutting on to use up the fabric.  It is so easy, so forgiving and you cut and sew.  It's all based on the 2 1/2" square.  The first picture is of 2 1/2" squares and one rectangle of 2 1/2 x 6 1/2".  Sew together as shown.

You can end up with stacks of crazy looking squares, using all your pieces and scraps.

Next you frame your original little square with two rectangles of 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" and two side rectangles of 
2 1/2" x 10 1/2".  

You end up with squares that look like this.  You can be careful and match the inside with the framing if you want or be totally mismatched.  Then you can  put these squares together, as many as you want for the size quilt you want to end up with.  Or,  you can separate the blocks with a colored sash between the blocks.  I've found sewing these pieces together was easy and relaxing and I love crazy, scrap quilts.  I did at least try to keep the inside complimenting the outside frame and I wanted to have some that were more likely to be for a boy baby quilt.


No comments: